Thursday, September 15, 2011

Cooking Tips for College-Students


So during these past few weeks I've done everything from cook my own veggies and meat, to being smart and buying tons of Pasta-Roni boxes on discount at the Safeway back home ;)  I must say cooking on your own can be quite convenient but also a pain.  Like when I run out of milk. I can no longer cook oatmeal, eat cereal, etc.  Or when all the pots and pans are in the sink, and you can't wash them cause the dish rack is completely full, bleh. but other than that it's pretty good.

Every once in a while I like to make the joke that I gonna become a vegetarian. Which will never happen, however sometimes I have to opt out of eating meat cause I completely forget to defrost the meat beforehand :(  but thankfully with plenty of carbs and vegetables, it's not too noticeable.



1. Freeze Your Meat.  So I noticed for me, it's a lot cheaper if I buy several separate bags of meat already marinated and cut.  I like to buy them in packages of one pound. My favorite so far is the "Al Pastor Chicken," I get at the Mexican store.  All I have to do is defrost it, then throw it in the skillet and cook till it's well done.

2. Defrost Your Meat and Bagels Beforehand. So I have learned that the best way to keep my food from going bad is by freezing it, however it's always important to have some bread and meat defrosted so when you're hungry you have something you can actually cook. lol

3. Cook Ahead of Time.  I honestly prefer to cook the night before than the day of. Why?  Well I'm usually in classes all morning, and by the time I get back I'm starving.   If I wait till I'm out of classes then I won't have anything to eat for an hour or more after I'm done. Thus I'll cook beforehand and then just pop in the microwave when I'm ready to eat.

Good luck cooking, more meals and tips to Come!

No comments:

Post a Comment