Wednesday, February 22, 2012

40 Days of Lent

So what exactly is lent?  

"Lent is a special time of prayer, penance, sacrifice and good works in preparation of the celebration of Easter." 

During this time, people are challenged to fast from something important to them 
so they can spend more time in the word and focusing on their Christian walk.

I've actually never given anything up for lent before.   
But this year, I've decided along with my roommates 
and several other friends to give up Facebook. 

Yep.  No Facebook for 40 days.  

 That's over a month!!  Kill me now! Jk. but seriously, it's going to be difficult. Whenever I touch a keyboard my fingers automatically start typing... F...A...C........  I'm a Facebook addict!  Thus, I'm deactivating it, so I don't accidentally end up online. lol


Lately, I've realized that it's impossible to be close friends with everyone.  There's just not enough time to be close with everyone.  You really have to choose who are important to keep close to and dedicate time to cultivate a deep relationship. Honestly, Facebook has been a huge distraction for me, proclaiming I have all these "friends" that I can never keep up with.  And that's part of the reason why I've decided to give up Facebook for lent.  Not only do I want to focus on my real friends but actually dedicate time to my relationship with Christ.  I've spent so much energy on a Facebook doing nothing and completely neglecting the one always there for me.

I shouldn't need a tragedy to occur to notice that God's still around, and I have a feeling, God's going to do so much more in mine and everyone's lives these next few weeks.

So Goodbye Facebook, Hello Friends!

Best wishes to all of you who are fasting for lent.  Remember if it's not easy, that's okay, that's why it's called "giving up."  We're sacrificing something important to us, for something even more important.  I'll try to keep you updated! 

God Bless You!

Love,
 

No comments:

Post a Comment