Friday, February 25, 2011

Applying Mascara

It's crazy how many videos and articles you can find on how to apply eyeliner or eyeshadow and yet I have never found something to show me how to apply mascara.  It's really simple to learn, however many girls tend to end up with lumpy mascara that still makes their lashes look longer but not their best.

The best trick to getting rid of lumpy mascara is to first of all make sure it's not too old [less than 3 months].  Second, if your mascara looks a little lumpy run it under hot water or leave in a tiny shot glass of hot water for a few minutes.  [NOTE: do not put water in your mascara, put your mascara in water.  ]  Doing so will liquify the mascara making it easier to apply and look much better. 

Curling your eyelashes will also make a big difference.  Some people don't like to curl their eyelashes cause it supposedly damages the eyelashes.  I honestly don't know, but I do know that when I curl them and then apply mascara, my eyes tend to pop more.   There are several ways to curl your lashes, the most common being using a eyelash curler, though some people (like my mom) use a small spoon. 

One tip I learned to help your lashes curl better is to apply a little bit of baby oil right before.  This will make your eyelashes softer and more adaptable to the changing shape.

Whether you choose to curl your lashes first then apply mascara or apply mascara then curl them or even curl them apply mascara re-curl and apply mascara one last time, it is extremely important to not let the mascara get clumpy.   Personally I believe the best trick to making the mascara pop even more is simply by wearing eyeliner, however if I don't want the eyeliner to be very visible a thin line of liquid eyeliner would probably be the best approach.   But if you do your mascara well, you may not even need liner.

No comments:

Post a Comment